Saturday, November 14, 2009

And Away we Go!


The squiggly red line, which approximates the number of plasma cells in the body, both normal and malignant, has reached the stratosphere. If we can't stop its rise, it will stop mine. It rose seventy-three points in one week. Malignant plasma cells crowd out what I need to fend off infections. The value should be 1.94 or less. It is now 304.

The time has come to make sure that my emergency go-to-hospital kit is properly packed (warm socks, pajamas, underwear, robe and slippers, ordinary meds, toiletries, Marinol (synthetic marijuana), cell phone and other chargers, computer cables, hard New York Times crossword puzzles, pencils, journals, a huge book I can read for weeks, etc.). Also it is time to activate wireless broad-band access for the laptop (so I can watch anything I've recorded on TiVo at home — see Slingbox).

I need to keep going until January, when there may be the life-saving possibility of a reduced-intensity allogeneic transplant from a matched, unrelated donor. At this point, the staying alive bit is not a sure thing. Until then, I have to hide from sick people (except for Ivonne, who, with near-perfect timing, has come down with a belligerent cold), and the cancer has to be relatively kind to my bones and organs.

There never seems to be enough time for certain important things, yet I realize I've been blessed with a great time to re-do my Last Will & Testament! Tag family heirlooms with where I want them to go! Videotape final curses for my heartless children!




On Wednesday I took a huge dose (40mg) of steroids (dexamethasone). Saturday & Sunday, the steroids at half-dose will be repeated. Then blood tests on Monday. Throw in a colonoscopy and endoscopy Tuesday morning (I'm looking forward to awakening at 4:30am to drink a half-gallon of hog slop). Then, on Tuesday afternoon, the poisoning with arsenic trioxide, velcade, & vitamin C (IV) will begin, and will be repeated on Friday if I survive. (The regimen is called ABC.) Oh, and Medicare might not pay for it, so it might cost me $2K/week to experience element 23 of the periodic table. For those of you obsessed with "eating healthy," I would like to point out that arsenic is thoroughly natural and is probably available at Whole Foods.


7 comments:

  1. Hang in there. Having walked a mile in your shoes and then ran a marathon in those shoes, i'm living proff that the hogslop and agony which your brain will blissfully block out if it gets bad enough will be worth it. Even on the worst days try and think of something that will make you smile on the inside at least. It sounds lame, but trust me, it can't hurt :) Wishing you a speedy recovery. And stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be intending that the right combination of drugs and other therapies bring about the desired results, Lonnie.... and that the anticipated agony is significantly "less than."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it all goes well and you are back on the honeymoon train!!!!!!!!!
    Good luck and blessings!
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care, friend. I know you will plug along and keep us informed. Prayers to you.
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lon,
    Sending good vibes your way.. Hang in there.. Will be following closely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lon, I am optimistic that your will respond to your treatment. I couldn't agree with you more on your recent post about spending as little time as possible with your myeloma. This has worked well for me since I first became aware of MGUS in 1988 and my diagnosis in 2002. But now, it is probably time to take a little time off from the honeymoon and work on this myeloma issue for a few months. And sometimes it is very hard work. I'll be thinking of you along with so many others... Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been reading your blog and wishing you well. I just read about your ABC regimen. Will you please go to this link and read the information and see if you should show your doctor?

    http://www.myelomabeacon.com/news/2009/11/18/vitamin-c-inhibits-anti-myeloma-activity-of-velcade/

    [MM] Fw: Vitamin C Inhibits Anti-Myeloma Activity Of Velcade | The Myeloma Beacon

    Wishing you and your family good thoughts and sending prayers,

    kdorkian

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!