Sunday, August 29, 2010

I Made It!

The Worst: Losing it in ICU (maybe less than three weeks ago)

Later, when I know more, I'll tell you what I learn about the eighteen days I spent unconscious in the ICU. (I wasn't unconscious in a way. During the two attempts on my life I experienced a scary paranoid hallucination that lasted the whole time: the fantasy was so compelling I needed anti-psychotics to put it down.)

Phelias Fogg, of Doyle's Around the World in Eighty Days, saw much more in the time of his around-the-world journey than have I in my last eighty days, stuck in general hospital (Scripps Green) or, as of mid-week, a rehabilitation hospital (Vibra). He didn't appreciate much of the scenery nor have I. We both just wanted to get it done, like having a tooth crowned: then off to Fiji for a proper recovery! But let me tell you right off — the Vibra rehab hospital ain't Fiji.

Today marks the eightieth day (or, the first 6,825,600 seconds) of complete hospitalization for my allogeneic transplant (from a matched but unrelated donor).  I am happy to report the following:
  • I couldn't fill you in earlier because I didn't have the strength: mostly, I slept, but today I've been awake for the whole afternoon for the first time.
  • I came near death twice during my two stays in ICU, which is nothing, right? Ivonne had to take all our stuff home more than once. I don't want to imagine what was on her mind.
  • The donated cells have engrafted! I have a working, new immune system!
  • An epic battle is being fought with the old myeloma. The new immune system seems to be destroying the cancer! When I entered eighty days ago, my light chains (in mg/dL) were in the thousands: pretty much we had stopped looking at the test result since there was nothing we could do about it. Yet last week's measurement showed but 42.00 (remember, though, 1.76 is normal — we have a ways to go). I think the blood tests are showing bone reparation as well (low calcium, high alkaline phosphatase)!
  • I don't seem to need anti-rejection drugs. The close-to-perfect match has given me no hint of rejection.
  • I'm too weak to change my diapers. I walk with a walker and helpers, and not far. My peripheral neuropathy has become more of the very painful variety than than the numbing one (don't you just love morphine!). Typing requires more strength than I usually have: this is the first email/post I've written in a very long time. I'm always asleep or unconscious or in agony. Or having surgery with too little numbing.
  • Ivonne spent every night with me, nearly, since I entered Scripps Green on 11 June. I could not have done this without her.
  • Some day there may be a case study: apparently med students and fellows are working on it! (Not confirmed yet.)
There's a lot more, of course, but I'm tired. I do know it was time to let all of you who have supported me, comforted me, prayed for me, hoped for me, visited me, written to me, that I am so grateful for you for making this easier for me. This includes Marsha and John, who have tended to my lawn; Allyson, who is taking care of the difficult or ill pets; Kent P, who visits me at least every week (and has helped me in many other sensitive ways); and Lee and June, who are always there for me when I need them to be.

I would have been dead years ago but for the excellent and, at times, heroic work of my doctors. I would name them if they would allow it. How can I ever thank them enough?

I'll write more as I get better, but I can answer questions if you put them in the comments. The eighty days were excruciatingly busy, I'm sure many of you are wondering about some part or another.


    38 comments:

    1. Lon,
      Just sat down to check emails, and saw your post. So very happy to know all the good news. I know you still have some rough spots ahead, but know you will do well. Could we have your current address to send a card? You are in my thoughts and prayers.

      Hang in there,
      Darlene Jessee

      ReplyDelete
    2. So very happy to see your "I made it!" post, Lon. What an amazingly tough journey you and Ivonne have endured. I second Darlene's request for your rehab address. I'm sure there are many on the ACOR list who would love to send you their well wishes. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

      Dianne West

      ReplyDelete
    3. This is a most awaited post! and we are very happy to read these words. God Bless you Lon for giving hope to so many others. We continue with our positive thoughts and prayers for your continued recovery and send all very best wishes to Ivonne.
      Sincere Regards - Susie and Hamada UK.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Lon
      Soooo glad and excited that you have made it.
      The allo road would be long way to go, but am
      quite convinced that you can navigate through
      the road with Ivonne hand in hand.

      Best wishes and praying for your prompt recovery,

      Susumu and Kyoko (MM wife)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Wow, Lon, what a story! So happy to read that you have a working, new immune system...you are amazing!
      Onwards and upwards, as the saying goes!
      Rooting for you in Florence, Italy,
      Margaret

      ReplyDelete
    6. Really delighted for you. Wishing you all the very best as you recover and go forwards. You are one amazing bloke!

      Jan x

      ReplyDelete
    7. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Lon, very glad to hear “you made it”. You are a real inspiration! When my wife was diagnosed in Mar09 I read your complete blog. When my wife would get down and start thinking she didn’t have much time left I would tell her “Look at Lon.”.
      I am pulling for you. Looking forward to reading more of your story.
      Jerry

      ReplyDelete
    9. This is such fantastic news, Lon. What a warrior you are and it sure looks that your new immune system has no use at all for MM
      cells. This gives such hope to those who may
      have an allo in their future. And what a blessing to have Yvonne in your life. Best wishes to you both from Jersey.

      ReplyDelete
    10. So glad you are doing better, Lon. You've been through some very tough days, but am praying there are many, many good days to come.

      God Bless,
      Dotty

      ReplyDelete
    11. I am so happy to see this post this morning. It sounds like the scales have definitely tipped in your favor. Godspeed. And Ivonne, my hat off to you as well for your unlimited energy and caring. Hope is abound.
      Linda

      ReplyDelete
    12. Wow, Lon! I'm so glad you've come through. I'm sending positive energy to you and Ivonne.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Lon, I'm so glad to hearing from you!!! You are a miracle! My thoughts were with you all those days. I wish you the very best from now on!!
      Keep walking!!! ;-)

      Olga

      ReplyDelete
    14. Lon,
      God has so much more for you to do, and this journey, being a miracle, gives all of us, so much hope and a new sense of "if you can do it, maybe we can do it"! You are a master of encouragement and honesty. This "Long and Winding Road" has been traveled and conquered, by one brave warrior! Just think of the new blessings to come!! Thank you for sharing your life with all of the list!! You're in our prayers and thoughts! K in NWAR

      ReplyDelete
    15. Well Lon you are truly a case study for all of us with MM. Your courage, in and of itself, will always be a driving force for me when facing the tough decisions of which treatment I may need in the future. Finally, you are welcome for the prayers. God has been a significant part of all who have cared for you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Way to go, Lon! You are a champion.

      Be well.

      John M.

      ReplyDelete
    17. Almost every day I looked for a post, and knew you were fighting your way back. So if my intentions, thoughts, prayers, Reiki, added to the many others wishing you back to health were part of what was needed to get you to this point, I am grateful. But I know the love between you and Ivonne was tremendously healing and supportive. I join the many who appreciate this good news and continue to support you both in this recovery -- and now I can go and do a Snoopy dance for you!!

      ReplyDelete
    18. Lonnie-
      My day got exponentially better when I saw that there was a post from you on your blog. I have looked every day for one and hoped that it would be good news when it arrived. Fantastic! You are alive and on the mend. Know that prayers and many good wishes are continuing to be sent your way. Tell Yvonne that she has a great big energetic hug being sent to her.
      Nancy Stewart, MM '08, ASCT 1/10
      Phila, PA

      ReplyDelete
    19. Unbelieveable.. but beliveable.. you are a warrior and we are so happy to read this post.. please keep us updated.. as you always have intrigued us by your story.. God Bless you both!

      ReplyDelete
    20. These are wonderful news. I am so happy to 'hear' your enthusiasm is back after traversing this ordeal. May you and Ivonne have strength for the path ahead and that your love continue to sustain you.
      Thank you fro breaking the suspense...
      Luciana

      ReplyDelete
    21. Fantastic to hear from you again, Lonnie! We have all been watching for your next post, and worrying when it didn't come! Welcome back! Keep beating the MM into submission until it surrenders...you give us all hope.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Way ta go Lon! So, was it a full blown allogeneic or mini-Allo? Just curious cause I've had a mini.
      Hang in there buddy,
      Steve

      ReplyDelete
    23. So thrilled for you Lon ... you are one GUTSY guy. I was in LA last week ... maybe next trip I can visit? with admiration, from one [ fairly ] recently married MMer, to another ... Kate

      ReplyDelete
    24. Well done Lon, what a journey.
      You are are a myeloma legend.
      Love to you and Ivonne for a good recovery.
      Sid

      ReplyDelete
    25. ANONYMOUS: You too had a MUD? How did it work for you?? I would love to have this conversation on the blog.

      ReplyDelete
    26. Lon,

      Thank you for taking the energy to share. I am so glad you are doing so well and on the road to recovery. Will pray for strength for both you and Yvonne in the days ahead.
      ~Cary, caregiver of beloved husband, Terry

      ReplyDelete
    27. It's so wonderful to read your news! You've fought a long and hard battle, as has your wife. Looking forward to continued good news!!

      Ginny
      Caregiver to my husband, Phil

      ReplyDelete
    28. BRILLIANT !!!
      Your strength and tenacity . . .
      Your love of Yvonne . . .
      Your willingness to share, highs and lows . . .
      Your future !!!

      I know I'll be seeing you and that crusty ol' bird in my exam room in no time.

      ReplyDelete
    29. Salim in Austin, TXAugust 31, 2010 at 9:30 PM

      So happy to read that you've pulled through and are getting stronger, Lon! We are scratching the "20% it kills you" and going with the "20% it cures you". I am also hoping that we see no "graft vs. writer" effect: I've been a fan of your writing style for over 10 years now and I look forward to reading more gems from you.
      Get strong Lonnie, there are plenty of wholly inappropriate women rooting for you out there!

      ReplyDelete
    30. Salim: "Get strong Lonnie, there are plenty of wholly inappropriate women rooting for you out there!"

      No question: you HAVE been reading me a long time! Thanks for the laugh and the memory.

      ReplyDelete
    31. Lon, I have been looking for word from you. I'm so glad you felt good enough today to write. You're in my prayers are you make it through this!

      Jacki Inman
      SW Michigan

      ReplyDelete
    32. Lonnie,
      I was so glad to see your post that you are getting better. I was at Green Hospital several times after my visit to you but the room I saw you in looked dark and I was afraid to ask for fear of bad news. You can imagine my glee when I got your message you are on the mend. Thank you so much for spending the time to share your adventure with us and letting us know everything was successful and it was all worth it.
      Patty

      ReplyDelete
    33. Lonnie,
      I couldn't have had better news today. You are an inspiration, as many have said. We all appreciate what an incredible struggle you have been through and still face. Your tenacity and belief in yourself, and you wonderful wife Yvonne (sp?) were clearly everything you needed to pull this off.

      Will be looking for further posts on your blog. Oh, btw, a couple of folks have asked for your snail mail address at the location where you are right now. Can you take a moment to post it when you read this.

      Very best to you.

      Tom Courbat - 9 years and still kicking!

      ReplyDelete
    34. Lon,

      I am so glad to know that you are doing well.

      I just wanted to send you, and your brave wife, my best wishes and a BIG HUG full of positive energy.

      Pilar

      ReplyDelete
    35. Congratulations Lon! You are an enormous inspiration.

      Rebecca MM dx 10/07

      ReplyDelete
    36. Dear Lonnie,

      I have followed your amazing story for some time now and am truly happy for you and your family. What an inspiration. My husband Pat was diagnosed in Aug 2007, just completed Bendamustine and is looking for the next cure...
      Lots of love and strength to you
      Tina
      UK

      ReplyDelete

    They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!