Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Potpourri #2: This, That, and a Wish

Bell's Palsy
As if I had nothing else with which to struggle, now I have Bell's Palsy. I look like the poor man on the right except that the left side of my face is paralyzed, not the right. Actually, I look worse than he does. My tear ducts are involved and I can't close my left eye. The resulting pain and dryness require me to use eye drops frequently, as well as a special gel at night. My attempts at smiling would terrify children.

Last Tuesday, with a gusher of tears, more from the left eye than the right, it all began. Also, at the same time, my vision changed dramatically for the worse: my left eye, usually nearly 20-20, could barely see. By Thursday I had seen two ophthalmologists, both of whom insisted that I immediately get an MRI and see a neurologist. Which I did. My brain is normal: there is no obvious cause of the paralysis (and, blessedly, no sign of cancer). When they can't find a cause, they call it Bell's Palsy. Perhaps the problem is viral.

The onset of paralysis was quite rapid. On the way to the ophthalmologist I could drink water from a sports-top bottle. By the time the examination ended I could not: the water fell out of the paralyzed side onto my shirt.

The most trying aspect is that it remains horribly difficult to read.

In any case, there's nothing to be done except perhaps for acupuncture. I hope the condition will resolve itself, as it often does, but it can be permanent.


Learning to Walk
To begin the transplant, I walked sturdily into Scripps Green Hospital weighing about 195 lbs. Almost four months later I had to be carried out on a gurney, having lost some 45 lbs of fat and muscle. I was literally flaco, or "skin and bone," in Spanish.

For the longest time, I could not handle stairs. So, four or five times, when I needed to see the doctor, a medical transportation outfit carried me down the stairs, drove me to the office, drove me back, then carried me up the stairs to my bedroom. I was always frightened, with good reason, of being dropped on the staircase.

One day, while riding in the back of the ambulance, I overheard the sidekick, who looked like he desperately needed a cigarette, talking to the driver:
I was really surprised. I was already in jail for something else, so the judge let me off with time served!  
His speech was strikingly matter-of-fact in this somewhat alarming revelation. Afterward I worked hard to use the stairs: that was the last time I let them or anyone else carry me.

The piano once again beckons me, but being "out of practice" hardly describes my playing. I have lost so much muscle that I am no match for the concert grand, and, worst of all, every hint of gracefulness is gone. Also, my memory has taken a huge hit. I had memorized everything I liked to play, seldom forgetting much. Now I struggle to remember any of the pieces that, formerly, I could play in the dark (and, like Mozart, who was a ridiculous show-off, even upside-down). I do have an old recording of me playing Gershwin's Prelude in C# minor, which was the starting point of my venturing into jazz. A couple of years later I had made the Prelude my own, with all manner of improvisations, but I have no recording of where I left off. Today I can't play it at all. I can't manage the huge stretches. I wish I could put up a better recording for you, but that will take some time.

The Moravian Star
Nearly every day, two of my children, Sharon and Jared, who now live with Ivonne and me, ask, "Where is the star for the tree?" And every day I check Amazon.com for tracking information. At long last I think it is in San Diego and might be here tomorrow.

This is the first time I've celebrated Christmas since converting to Judaism many decades ago. This is largely because, on Christmas Eve, my wife will be in Tijuana with her other two children, Nahomy and Ruben, along with one or two hundred of her closest cousins. There will be feasting, churching, drinking, shooting guns at midnight, and sharing food gifts with the neighbors and others. At dawn they can finally sleep. I know this is an wholly inadequate description of the Tijuana version of Las Posadas, but perhaps next year I'll be strong enough to experience it for myself.

However, that leaves Sharon, Jared and me by ourselves, and the last thing I'm emotionally prepared to cope with is the moping of a couple of lonely daughters. So we are celebrating Christmas this year, probably a day early so that Ivonne can be with us. I have a gift for the girls which I hope will make them completely forget that they aren't in TJ.

I don't mind celebrating Christmas this year. I even asked a friend to climb into the attic to retrieve decorations that have been in my family for more than sixty years. Along with the solstice, which I believe in as steadfastly as any Druid, Christmas signifies for me the possibility of a new or better life. Like the principal theme in American literature, Christmas tells us that it is always possible to start over without the well-earned tribulations of the past. May all of us, and especially we cancer patients, embrace the spirit of Christmas during these, the longest and darkest nights of the year.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Lon, I feel that your Bells are just another glitch that you have to overcome.This is small in comparison to what you have gone through. Your music, as a part of you, that again must be found, in time with your healing, and will probably take place down the healing road. I am looking forward to the day you will be able to do this. I understand, for my Lyndsey has memorized many pieces on her violin and would find it devastating too. Please be patient and we will pray for a speedy recovery. God Bless You and Yours this special renewed Christmas that you have found. Merry Merry Christmas Bob:) Getting my number 5 injection in my eye tomorrow for Macular Degeneration, I look terrible for a week! Lynne and Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lon,

    I had Bell's Palsy, too. I was drooling (when trying to drink) for a week before I finally got a clue. If I had taken the time to look in the mirror, I would have noticed. However, I had just completed a long trial where I was working long hours and dealing with a difficult Assistant US Attorney. I was the second Agent who ended up with bells palsy after working with this US Attorney.

    After I kept rubbing one of my eyes, I finally looked in a mirror and noticed that it was not blinking. After I mentioned my eyes to a co-worker, she noticed my drooping lips and got everyone up in arms...stating that I apparently had a stroke. Needless to say, they rush me to the nurse's office and took my blood pressure and off I went to the Emergency room. I knew I did not have a stroke, but off I went. Surely enough, after several tests and thousands of dollars later, they determined it to be bells palsy.

    Here's hoping for your speedy recovery and I hope you have a Blessed Holiday season. Lon, you are my hero. I want to thank you for sharing your experience fighting MM (with this blog). You, Susie Hemmingway and the others who take the time to share your stories....are a blessing to us all.

    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Lonnie and remember- This too shall pass. Your new children are truly blessed. We send you our fondest wishes for Happy Holidays . Lee and June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lon,
    You are a tough bird. You will kick this latest challenge to the curb like the others you have dealt with. 2011 will have you right back on the piano bench and playing concertos with the orchestra in your mind.
    Well, here it is, Merry Christmas.
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister had Bell's Palsy twice. It was attributed to Lyme disease and did go away completely both times with no lasting effects. She found it hard to sleep as her one eye had to be held closed. Everytime you write about climbing stairs, I can't help thinking about Jack Nicholson and what Keanu Reeves says to him about when he can climb the stairs in "Something's Gotta Give." ;o)
    Merry Christmas Lon!

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!