Friday, March 18, 2011

Potpourri #3: Pictures, Progress, Politics, and a Puzzler!

BEFORE AND AFTER
Three Months after Autologous | Eight Months after Allogeneic
Be sure to click on the photo above to appreciate the full catastrophe, especially the loss of fifty-five pounds from the allo, making me but a shadow of my former self. While I haven't simply been waiting for my body to recover naturally, which it seems disinclined to do, it is clear that once my back heals up from the kyphoplasty, full recovery will require serious exercise. This will be difficult for me because of my inherent laziness.

BELL'S PALSY
My Bell's Palsy has slowly improved, albeit with a relapsing/remitting course. Here's what I looked like at Christmas, when it was at its worst:

I'm the one on the left
Because the tear ducts for my left eye are paralyzed, my vision has drastically deteriorated. If I lie on my back, my eyes dry out painfully. At night I have to wake up two or three times to use eye drops (Hypo Tears are the best, although expensive). If I am upright, too much fluid distorts my vision — I am constantly dabbing my eyes with tissue and mechanically blinking with my fingers. Finally, if I look down, both eyes flood (I think the right eye floods sympathetically). 

PROGRESS, OR LACK THEREOF
Click on the Chart to Enlarge
I had expected to see another reduction in kappa, but, instead, it's unchanged from last month (+5.5). I like the drop in lambda, which is as inexplicable as its recent rise. I was apprehensive that my cancer had mutated into another type, as it sometimes does. Chemotherapies for myeloma tend to be mutagenic. Lambda is more troublesome than kappa because the particles are too big to pass easily through the kidney. The resulting accumulation can lead to kidney failure. I am breathing more easily now that I've seen the drop in lambda.

My labs used to tell me where I was and where I was going. After the allogeneic transplant, I find myself living an unpredictable life in an alternate universe largely devoid of explanation. I hereby relinquish all forms of medical prognostication. They no longer help.

WAR!
I hope you will permit me to repeat a useless but sadly valid observation: wars are incredibly easy to start but deucedly difficult to stop.

One of the few wars that ended quickly began with the invasion of Grenada, codenamed Operation Urgent Fury, on October 25, 1983. It lasted about a day. Of course, the population of Grenada was approximately 100,000, the size of Davenport, Iowa. The next-shortest was The Battle of San Juan Hill, which began on the First of July, 1898, and ended three days later.

Teddy Roosevelt is left-of-center, as he was in life
In recent history, wars seem to have become permanent. I refuse to make the analogy to George Orwell's 1984, where perpetual war was considered to be politically expedient and therefore desirable (see Praederitio). Orwell is by far my favorite essayist.

HOW AN $8 FAN BECAME A FINANCIAL FIASCO
One of my daughters, who shall go nameless lest this post be used later against me in her murder trial, came running up to me with alarming news: her computer had shut down and refuses to come back up!

The children's computer, which was my old game machine, a hand-built speed demon, had complained of USB over-current (rather like a blown fuse) before shutting itself down. I disconnected all of the USB devices, but, still, the message and the shutdown. I was baffled.

Then I noticed that a case fan had burned out. The spindle was charred and the blades were difficult to turn with my fingers. Could the error message be incorrect? So I put in a new case fan, turned it on, and got the same message. More bafflement. The second time I tried booting up the machine, it decided that death was better than torture by USB and promptly shut down for good. Requescat im pace.

So I reasoned myself into building a new game machine with state-of-the-art components. First, in this day and age, kids need a computer. Curiously, building a cheap computer for them seemed to make no sense to me. What did make sense to me was to give them my 3.8GHz speed demon, which is adequate for any game on the planet, and build a new machine with state-of-the-art components for gaming. (Do you have any idea how many hours a day an adult male not unlike myself can spend fighting exotic monsters in games like World of Warcraft? Yet, at the same time, be thoroughly appalled at how much time the children waste on Facebook, MSM, and Youtube?)

When a man wants to do something incredibly stupid, a man can invent all sorts of plausible-sounding reasons to convince himself that it's the right and necessary thing to do. Fortunately, my wife's idea of digital has something to do with painting her nails, so there was no voice of reason to get in my way.

Therefore, I could happily spend all kinds of money I didn't have on something I didn't need — a machine that today runs at an absolutely blinding 4.0GHz. Without all kinds of extremely expensive high-tech components (think liquid nitrogen or phase-change cooling), that's about as fast as a desktop computer can get. I refuse to calculate the final bill. I stopped counting at $837 although the final bill is probably a few hundred more.

Finally, I moved the guts of my old machine into my kid's enclosure, pushed the start button, and SPLAT! No change. USB overload.

OK, I thought, this is bloody impossible. I stared at the machine stupidly for many minutes.

Then, with a drawn-out, audible "ah...", came the dawn. What my darling daughter omitted from her story was that she or her sister had broken the front-panel USB connector, shorting out the pins. After a few minutes with a magnifying glass and a miniature screw driver, the machine came right up.

Had I been told the whole story, the fix would have cost $8 plus shipping. Instead, I wound up selling mutual funds when the market was diving. (Do give me moral credit for not saying I had to sell them.)

One of my Characters, Prune, from the The Rift
The Anatomy of a Hand-Built Game Machine

9 comments:

  1. Jacki in SW MichiganMarch 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM

    You hang in there, Lonnie! I appreciate your thoughts. :)

    Jacki in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, I find your posts most informative. I had bells palsy in 2004. Fortunately, it came and went without incident. It took me two weeks to realize I had it because I don't spend much time looking in mirrors. I just remember that one of my eyes became irritated because it was not blinking or not blinking enough to keep the eye moist. After asking a friend/co-worker to see if she noticed anything about my face, I got my co-workers in a panic after they swore I had had a stroke. Needless to say, I was rushed to the hospital and all sort of tests were done to find out I had bells palsy--stress probably resulting from a 2-week Federal trial with a wonderful, but a taskmaster of a Assistant United States Attorney. In any event, I healed. Wishing you the same. Thanks again for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am delighted in your progress, and was hanging on every word for the solution of the mystery... hate it when the obvious is it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you built a screamer of a gamer. How many and type of processors? Front side buss? HDD?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lonnie, this is 2011, not 1988 (when the Surgeon General said we were eating too much saturated fat). Your "after" picture looks much healthier, better, more modern, good looking, hip, etc., than the former you. So, stay thiiin, but exercise more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, it is with delight that I supply the details of the build.

    The motherboard is an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, Republic of Gamers (ROG) delight that has several cool ways of helping one overclock the processor, including one which with an attached laptop allows the overclocker to modify BIOS-level parameters while the system is running. The board has the best built-in 5.1 audio I've ever heard. I have a THX-approved 5.1 surround system for true immersion into the gaming environment (as well as a Creative wireless headset for talking to my teammates).

    The processor is an AMD Phenom II x4 970 Black Edition with a base speed of 3.5GHz.

    I installed 4GB of Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive DDR3 1600 with wonderful timings: 6-9-7-24. I hope to add another 4GB soon.

    The system runs on a 6Gb/s Sata II Velociraptor (450GB) that spins at 10,000 rpm. Most program files are on a 1TB WD black, also 6Gb/s. There is another 1TB, 3Gb/s green disk that has a bootable Win 7 on it and contains automatic backups of the other two disk using Retrospect. I use DualBootPRO for booting, which is simple and indispensable.

    I also added an MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II OC. I'm getting FPS of from 30 to 70 after pulling out all the stops. I'm resisting the urge to get another and connect them in SLI.

    The cpu cooler is a Zalman (I greatly value their air coolers), and rear fan is a PWM beauty from Maxcool.

    The whole shebang is housed in a Silverstone Temjin J10-ESA NVIDIA case with a slide-out motherboard try that makes upgrading wonderfully easy. The ventilation, with five fans, makes for a very quiet-running machine despite the overclock.

    My first overclock is a completely reliable 4GHz. I think I can go much higher but I'm not sure I want to increase the fan noise. Besides, 4GHz is fast enough! In addition, ASUS announced this week that a BIOS update will enable the Crosshair board to accept AMD3+ processors, meaning that the new processors that are coming out, which I expect will be faster and generate less heat, will be usable on my board. I was afraid it would soon become obsolete.

    Thank you very much for asking me to brag about this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roslyn Brown:

    I absolutely adore the wonderfully-written comment you left on my earlier post on Bell's Palsy. For the benefit of those who may have missed it, here it is:

    Lon,

    I had Bell's Palsy, too. I was drooling (when trying to drink) for a week before I finally got a clue. If I had taken the time to look in the mirror, I would have noticed. However, I had just completed a long trial where I was working long hours and dealing with a difficult Assistant US Attorney. I was the second Agent who ended up with bells palsy after working with this US Attorney.

    After I kept rubbing one of my eyes, I finally looked in a mirror and noticed that it was not blinking. After I mentioned my eyes to a co-worker, she noticed my drooping lips and got everyone up in arms...stating that I apparently had a stroke. Needless to say, they rush me to the nurse's office and took my blood pressure and off I went to the Emergency room. I knew I did not have a stroke, but off I went. Surely enough, after several tests and thousands of dollars later, they determined it to be bells palsy.

    Here's hoping for your speedy recovery and I hope you have a Blessed Holiday season. Lon, you are my hero. I want to thank you for sharing your experience fighting MM (with this blog). You, Susie Hemmingway and the others who take the time to share your stories....are a blessing to us all.

    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now for your good news.. you are still alive and able to absorb the sunshine.
    I lost my husband Mark on 26 Jan 2011 to an infection during DPACE therapy.. be strong my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. excellent articles, useful for me. keep writing and happy blogging.

    aroma essential oils

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!