Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I am Wimp: Hear Me Whinge!

Forgive me for, or rejoice in, the uncharacteristic brevity, but I'm full of dope (Ultram ER) and, by the time you read this, on the way to surgery. Today an eminent orthopedic surgeon (a friend of mine refers to him dismissively as a "mechanic") will perform kyphoplastic magic on the compression fracture of my second lumbar vertebra.

How Kyphoplasty is Done

I haven't been able to do much of anything for the last month because of the pain, so I am delighted to be a "good candidate" for the procedure. The surgery itself will take only an hour, but I'll be trapped in hospital for about five hours. With any luck, by the weekend I won't need pain meds and will be able to sit in chairs again. Chairs are especially important to me in that if I can't sit, I can't play piano, AND THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY! Music is my safety valve, or has been, until recently.

Wish me luck.


5 comments:

  1. Hey Lonnie,
    Been reading your blog for a while now. Like your style, truth and hold nothing back attitude.
    I'm from New Zealand, myeloma since 2001. If you want more www.supersidnz.blogspot.com
    In the summer I grow tomatoes like you. The money maker variety about half the size of my closed fist. Just for you Lonnie about 5cm or 2 inches across. Also grow the little cocktail tomatoes for eating while I sit and watch the other vegetables grow.
    I don't play the piano but my wife somtimes plays the piano on my ribs to find the one with the lesion in. Doh, ray, me, YEAH!
    I wish you luck with the kyphoplastic magic and good health.
    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Lon! May the mechanic work his magic on your spine, and may you feel much better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lon,

    I am glad you are able to do the Kyphoplasty. My Doug had it done twice in April (he had 5 fractures) and the relief was instant! Good luck with the procedure. I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pain almost gone! Later in the day, after the surgery, and emergency PB&J, and icing down the lumbar region, I drove to a UPS store to mail a package, had a "healthy" hamburger at a local SoCAL place (with a mountain of fries and a strawberry shake), and took my girlfriend to a store to buy nail polish and utensils for some weird female rite. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delighted to pick up that you are feeling better already and getting involved in significant other activities so soon after the procedure... you go, Lon!

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!