Saturday, August 8, 2009

Am I Coming or Going?

The Wedding Site

A huge part of me is completely absorbed with the wedding and its usual and customary ordeals. We have the license. There are rings. There is a date (Friday, September 4th) and a place (the wedding gazebo/chuppah on the grounds of the 1938 Spanish Revival/Beaux-Arts County Administration Center). Travel plans for old friends. A best man and an usherette. Tequila and mariachis!

Yet another huge part of me drags myself to Scripps Clinic every Monday for the all-important blood tests that will reveal whether or not I am responding to my last-ditch chemotherapy, bendamustine (Treanda). First, I descend into the clinic's deep basement to see the previous week's labs. Are the numbers up or down? Am I responding or have I run out of time? Thus far, every result has been inconclusive. Reply hazy — try again later.

Yesterday, I had the quarterly CT-Pet scan that insures against nasty surprises. During the procedure, half asleep, I was alternately planning my new life with Ivonne and as well as my funeral. Here's a sampling of what went through my mind:
  • Do I need to buy one cemetery plot or two? (Ivonne is so very young!)
  • Can I get mariachis to play for the wedding even though it is going to be held at noon on a Friday?
  • Am I eligible to join the clinical trial of Carfilzomib?
  • Should I wear a plain, gray suit or formal morning dress for the wedding?
  • I should probably have more than one executor of my estate.
  • Will it be difficult to reserve a cozy, romantic hotel for the Friday before Labor Day?
  • How much longer will this watchful waiting go on until my response to bendamustine is definitive?
After the CT-Pet scan, I picked up Ivonne's ring at the jewelers. There are nine stones inset in a band. I think it's handsome. She likes it.

On the good side, I think my schizophrenia is relatively mild. On the bad side, simultaneously laughing and crying is wearing me down.

The German Children
Hah hah hah!
The German children march along
Heads full of fairy tales and song.
They sing of angels in their lieder
They read of demons in their reader:
I think their little heads must swim.
The songs are jolly! The tales—are Grimm.
Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. Grimm indeed... I shall be thinking lovely thoughts on Friday the 4th of the two of you and intending that this step means the Universe is doing all that is necessary to create a miracle of healing... love has done this, you know.

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!