Friday, May 7, 2010

Let the Trial Begin!

When I first started this blog, the idea was to chronicle my second autologous stem-cell transplant (SCT) for the benefit of those who might find themselves following in my footsteps. Many have decided to keep a diary of the experience but few have actually done it, mostly because they find themselves in too much pain or discomfort. Maybe I won't be able to do it either, but that was the idea. As so many of you have noticed, my rate of posting has come down considerably over the last few weeks.

Then, when the SCT was ruled out fourteen months ago, I decided I would take you with me all the way to the end, wherever that turned out to be.

Now here we are, in April. I never imagined living this long, let alone finding myself facing a risky, reduced-intensity allogeneic transplant. Friday I move into the hospital (23rd April, 2010, 9am). If I'm lucky I'll be home again in a month. Getting to go home does not mark the end of the procedure, but does signal a good end of the beginning. If I'm not, if I'm unlucky, I could spend from now until September in the transplant unit of Scripps Green Hospital. There's a good chance the procedure will kill me, a chance that I learned today is higher than I had previously thought.

Some time soon I will be trying to convert my blog to the mandated Blogger format. I'll send you a message from the other side when it's done.

("The other side" sounds spooky, now that I've written it. I don't mean THAT other side!)

6 comments:

  1. Lon;

    Best wishes for the upcoming allo transplant. I hope you are able to post your way along and educate the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Lon, that definitely was a spooky reference!!
    I am doing an intention - which I am sure all your followers can align with - that this allo is successful for you, that you are realizing the dream of extending your life with improved health and that everyone, everywhere involved with this procedure for you is doing their very best for the very best outcome and this IS for the highest and best good of all concerned - so be it and SO IT IS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lon,
    I'll be thinking of you and awaiting the next installment with baited breath . . .
    Now go kick the &@#* out of that myeloma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you all the best Lon. Hope those
    donor cells do the trick.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lon,

    I wish you all the best! My thoughts will be with you every single day! We all will be awaiting for your next post!

    Olga, Greece

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynne said, Lon, "I'll say a little prayer for you". Sooo God will see you through.:)

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!