Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Photographs you DON'T want to see

 

This is what I looked like a while back and 45lbs heavier, before the mini-allo transplant was even an idea. Recently, Ivonne showed me pictures of myself in the Intensive Care Unit. I was stunned, first at how awful I looked, then by the magnitude of the disaster I had survived.

Many of my dear friends visited me repeatedly in the ICU, even though my delirium prevented me from being aware of them. For a time it was rather obvious that I wasn't going to survive, what with heart problems (tachycardia, atrial fibrillation), kidney failure, pneumonia, liver dysfunction, and a severe gastrointestinal infection. I am profoundly touched that they wanted to be with me, but not one whit sorry to have wasted their time!

I have been reluctant to post Ivonne's pictures because I find them to be deeply disturbing. But perhaps you'll see them differently. I did promise to record everything about the transplant (I failed), so I put the pictures in this post after a big gap. You can decide for yourselves if you want to look at them. (If you click on them, I believe they will enlarge.)

[I remember trying to use my laptop, which was on the over-bed table just a few inches above me. Although I struggled mightily, I did not have the strength to lift my arm high enough to reach the keyboard. That's one reason I couldn't post a daily diary of events.]

One picture is rather fuzzy but I included it because it shows something like eleven drugs being infused into me at the same time.

Meanwhile, here's one I can put here:
Not Dead, Just Hiding










The Beginning

One of a Great Many Transfusions

I Have Hair!
 
Beginning to Feel the Pain

Still In My Room
 
In Intensive Care Not Long After the Above

Blurry, But Count the IV Pumps

Click on my Vampire Picture

Platelets, I Think. These were an Everyday Thing

What is this machine??
  
I Don't Like It! (click on it)


  A Bit Later
I Survived!



5 comments:

  1. WOW! I'm so happy that everything worked out for you, Lon? I can't believe all the tubes. Thanks so much for sharing. I may be doing this sometime in the future. I have 8 blood siblings and my transplant physician is trying to get approval from my insurance company to type my siblings for a match.

    I'm thrilled for you, Lon!!! You are a tough man!!! And, you are blessed to have such a wonderful wife.

    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures ought to be enough to scare the Myeloma out of anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a Halloween-ish kind of post and a reminder that going to the mat against MM isn't for the timid... I join many who are more than glad you survived!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!

    You are brave. I won't be posting any pics when I do mine after the New Year, lol.

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!