Friday, November 26, 2010

Why Are There No Fat Zombies?

Zombies have serious nourishment problems. All the human flesh they gulp seems to do them no good. Maybe, when first bitten, there's meat on their bones. However, in a few hours, days or weeks, they tend to look like the guy on the right. Ever see a zombie, especially one who has just eaten someone, take a satisfied nap? I think not.

They have terrible digestive problems as well. Ever see a zombie sitting on the toilet reading a newspaper? Once again, I think not! Eventually they must fill up completely, leaving no more room for living flesh. What do they do then? I can't help but feel sorry for them.

By now you must be wondering, why is Lonnie writing about the plight of zombies?

Well, I took a steam bath today. But beforehand, for the first time since the allo, I looked rather thoroughly at myself in the mirror. When I went into the hospital I weighed 45 more pounds than when I came out. That, my friends, is serious weight loss. In fact, if you really want to lose those extra pounds but hate to diet and exercise, have an allogeneic transplant! I guarantee, if you survive, it will work.

My bones, especially those in my back, stick out like those of my zombie friend. I can't even sit in the most comfortable office chair ever, my Herman Miller Aeron, without developing serious pain. A recent MRI, where I had to lie on that hard, cold, flat plank, was, well, exquisitely painful. Also, I have no shoulders. And size 34 jeans fall off by themselves.

My ability to eat has improved considerably. When I first left the hospital most foods were repulsive. Even Jello tasted vile. I subsisted mainly on TPN, which is a colossal pain. Today, food once more tastes like food and I can eat a reasonable amount of it on most days. Like my poor zombie, though, it doesn't seem to be doing me a lot of good.

I'm not the most patient person on the planet, but I can be impatient longer than just about anyone else. Sadly, that's really not the same thing. I am getting stronger as I struggle to climb stairs, leave the wheelchair at home, and do as much for myself as I possibly can, but my backbone still sticks out like a dorsal fin.

I'd post a naked picture of me but someone would complain and I'd get shut down, which is a shame because my picture would help people understand rib anatomy. Want to see a femur?

Ok, I'm done whining. I know that, in a few weeks, if I don't overdo it, I'll have enough flesh to sit in a chair or lie on my back. By then I'll be complaining about something else.


6 comments:

  1. I would argue that the zombies, as a general rule, are significantly dehydrated!
    Make sure you drink enough liquids !!!
    Glad to know you are progressing. On my list for Thanksgiving . . . I'm thankful to have you still around.
    Happy Turkey Weekend! Dr. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lon,

    What's your height & weight? Maybe you just need some PT to bulk you up.

    Some 3 years ago I (intentionally) lost 50 lbs in 6 mos. I used that southern diet - "Wail, shet ma may-uth". And two mos ago I'd gone up some and lost 20 lbs on the same diet to get back to 180 (I'm 5'11", well proportioned by exercise).

    With your heroic willpower, reverse my diet to “Wail, gap ma yap” and start some resistive training.

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO glad to hear you complaining about anything... and Marty's advice about stuffing the gap sounds intriguing. Sounds like carbs of a complex nature might be of some benefit in this case... baked potatoes with really good Irish butter for example, including the well-washed skins. Protect that dorsal fin until you have some meat on your bones and we will enjoy your next posting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got about 17 pounds I'd gladly send right over. My weight gain plan.....perimenopause.
    I highly recommend it but unless your donor
    was a woman, not sure you could swing it, so I'll put in a good word here for Oreos and Mallomars. Whoever created these was pure evil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lonnie;

    I'm glad you are doing well. I just caught up with your journey over the last few months. Whew! Soon, I hope, you will again be making music.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lonnie, I lost 24 pounds with my second auto. Now I'm preparing for a sibling donor transplant and I'm hoping I will lose some weight. And this time I will try NOT to put it back on. Unlike you, my bones don't stick out. I like to think of my bones sitting protected in something like bubble wrap...except it is called fat. :)

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!