Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day Zero Plus One (a.k.a Thursday)

Good news today, I think. I appear to have slid past the danger from tumor lysis syndrome and am clearly on second base. Well, maybe only on first wishing to be on second.

It's difficult enough just getting into the bathroom.

Not that any base is a pleasant place. At night I've been burning up with fevers, weak and maybe at times delirious, which baffle me by going away in the morning. Neupogen shots have begun. And a dose of methotrexate.

I seem to be needing less pain medication,  but am getting headaches, which is rare for me. I'm trying to get food into me, too, but it isn't easy. Today I subsisted on yogurt, sealed cookies, Gatorade (I recommend red) and iced coke.  I just had a rather productive meeting with a nutritionist, so maybe we can kick-start my appetite with smoothies and sealed cookies. Appetite was good prior to donor infusion. But I fear that until the nightly fevers stop, eating is going to be a challenge.

All I can do now is report what happens. The challenges of this type of transplant have nothing or little to do with multiple myeloma, about which I claim some modest knowledge. In truth, doctors, nurses, and, to a lesser extent, me, we are exploring Terra Incognito. I do know we are awaiting signs of engraftment. We need to see neutrophils produced in my marrow.

Today's post wasn't easy, but I did set out to produce a daily record of the experience for those who may wish to follow.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you Lon. Start you food off with simple grilled cheese and ham or sans the pig. Try foods you didn't like before, sometimes that works. Still praying for your speedy recovery! Lynne and Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy Shepherd (Isil)June 17, 2010 at 4:24 PM

    Russ (Anar) and I are your very own cheering squad...we've even dusted off our pom poms for the occasion! Our spirits are with you even though we cannot be. Best to you always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lon,

    Thanks for posting. You give us all inspiration by your long battle against myeloma and your determination to continue to fight. Hang in there, we are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to see that I have at least 2 other cheerleaders with me - with pompoms, no less!
    Tonight we start the ANC call. If you look east in the light of the moon, you might see me in the distance doing the ANC call and dance.

    One day at a time and one smoothie, cookie or yogurt at a time. With each one you get stronger so that you can fight off those infections and other things that want to keep you down.

    Keeping you and your doctors, nurses, phlebotomists, technicians, housekeepers, dieticians, etc in loving thoughts to give you the best care possible.

    Have a restful night,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! I was holding my breath!
    We're proud of you Lon!
    Hang in there and fight the good fight. I'll say a prayer!
    Dr. J

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was five and had neck surgery, I subsisted on Prince Castle burgers. But I'm betting your nutritionist won't let In 'n Out near you.

    I join in with the cheers : BOOLA BOOLA !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the table down at Morie's.... I am the daughter and sister of a Yalie and can cheer the Blue and White with all the rest... but this is bigger than that! Just stopping by to let you know I'm feeding the Intending Machine with high octane good wishes!

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!