Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day Zero

The donor cells arrived in the night. Did you know the donor gets nothing for his troubles but the satisfaction of possibly saving a life?

I can't think of a greater gift to give another than the completely unrewarded, and possibly unwarranted, altruistic gift of life, can you?

In a year we will be given the opportunity to get to know one another, or a least the opportunity to agree to communication.

Donors get nothing in direct reward for their magnificent gift. It's a gift of pure love.

Although if the graft kills me, I might think less of it, and different people will win the pool money.

I'm not sure of the time today when the donor cells will be infused. If you've spent enough time in hospital, you realize they don't know either. But it will be today. I'll leave a postscript.

There are 8.5 million donors in the America's standard data bank, all of whom have volunteered samples to be properly typed just for an event such as this. They are the unchallenged heroes of my universe. Those, and the doctors and nurses who decided my life was worth saving, an outcome I never imagine I deserve one bit.

PS: Donation cells given, no adverse reactions yet, I'm exhausted.

9 comments:

  1. I signed up years ago to be a bone marrow donor during a regular blood donation. Never, ever thought I'd have a real connection to those who need that bone marrow ... but with an MM hubby I sure do. Hoping your precious donor's cells get to work right away to bring you that illusive cure.

    As one who has used the motto 'faith-hope-love' throughout the past 4 years, you know my $5 has to be on a successful transplant. Go get 'em, Lon.

    Dianne in Nevada

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to say to you Lon that there is another factor at work here and I have that covered, and I am sure others have done the same. Gods speed for your recovery:) Lynne Ralph and Lyndsey Reich P.S. My daughter is undergrad-premed and volunteers for the bone marrow registry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put me down for $5 on the side of success! I'm praying for you.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all out here intending a great result from the procedure...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok cells you have some really important work to do - give Lonnie another chance at life. He has a new wife who loves and needs him to complete their new life together.
    Gooooooo CELLS!!!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cells-do the right thing!

    Rebecca Weber

    ReplyDelete
  7. YaHOOOOOO you go new cells, save this man
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are much too modest, Lon. You deserve every bit of this. As for your donor, I'll bet he/she is walking on air today knowing that his/her life has a new meaning and they have just done something miraculous. Tis better to give than to receive though I'll bet you're feeling right now that the receiving part is pretty darn great too. :o) Wishing you happy engrafting and no more fevers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Lon and Ivonne: These pictures you have posted certainly tell some of the story!OMG, scary yet amazing miracle. I want my daughter who is in university and a pre-med student and is on the board for "Be The Match" an organization for Bone Marrow Donation. Wow, I want her to read your story. I have told her some before, but now she will see how important the program is and it saves lives:)Thanks and God Bless You and yours. Lynne Ralph and Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete

They spam, I moderate. When you send a comment, it will disappear for a bit until I am notified. It hasn't been eaten. On the plus side, I can now reply to questions or suggestions, if you have any, in the comments!